Saturday, September 10, 2011

Welcome to our Canvas!

Dear Students,

Like painters, writers craft in layers. Whether ideas begin in a rough sketch or a vague brush stroke, every artist must start somewhere.

Deep thinking drives the artistic process, but mishaps, confusions and mistakes chart the course. What ultimately comes out on the canvas is the result of careful attention to form, but inherent in this process is that which is unforeseen at the outset. Slowly the layers build and as they do, they inspire new ideas and in this way writing is mysterious, surprising and utterly unpredictable.

As students enrolled in Composition 1B, you are all writers now. Your individual blogs provide you with a canvas for contemplation and reflection, a place to explore and experiment.

Your goals here are simple: Read, Think, and Write!

Welcome to the Humanities.

Click here to go to Instructor Knapp Blog
The Layers
by Stanley Kunitz

I have walked so many lives
Some of them my own
And I am not who I was
Though some principle of being abides
From which I struggle not to stray
When I look behind as I am compelled to look
Before I gather strengths to proceed on my journey
I see the milestones dwindling toward the horizon

And the slow fires trailing from the abandoned campsites
Over which scavenger angels wheel on heavy wings

Oh I have made myself a tribe out of my true affections
And my tribe is scattered
How shall the heart be reconciled to its feast of losses?
In a rising wind the manic dust of my friends
those who fell along the way, bitterly stings my face.
Yet I turn, I turn, exalting somewhat with my wings intact
to go wherever I need to go
and every stone on the road precious to me

In my darkest night when the moon was covered and I roamed through wreckage
A nimbus clouded voice directed me, “Live in the layers. Not on the litter.”
Though I lack the art to decipher it, no doubt the next chapter in my book of transformations is already written.

I am not done

with my changes.

1 comment:

  1. Marjan is a teenager girl who is from a wealthy Iranian family, She would like to wear western cloth and she was happy when she wore Nike shoes or another famous brands cloth. I do not blame her because she was too young to understand what was the situation and the war in Iran. The war was so horrible for every body especially for those who was not rich to hide from fighter which did bombarded many cities.Marjan family wanted to send her daughter to Austrian and she get an education.While i read that there are some sentences at the Persepolis book was so intersting to me, and touch my heart and my feeling. Her Dad told Marjan when you leave your country "don't ever forget who you are"(148), and her grand mom told her "always keep your dignity and be true to yourself"(150). This would be so nice to tell to your children keep your dignity and be yourself, no matter when or where you live. Although Marjan family was rich and not much think about the war situation in Iran, they were at list would like to be Iranian and keep their culture and dignity while they are out of Iran. Another issue was and now are still Exist,that is the guardian who`talk to people at street or public place, they talk to those who are not obey the rule of cloth. I think this cloth rule is good, but it should not to do any force to ladies or girls. This rule is a fact that all girls should accept by themselves in spit of their believe, and they should study and research about of veil or hejab, they understand why they wear hejab. This is a compelitly personal faith and believe,nobody should not force to anybody what they wear and when they should wear,for this reason, I do not agree to have guardian at street in Iran."Aren't you ashamed to wear tight jeans like these"(133).In any country it should be freedom for people.

    ReplyDelete